Makry Gialos lies in the south east corner of Crete and is the southern most tourist area in Europe. The towns of Ierapetra (25 minutes by car) and Sitia (45 minutes by car) have everything you might need that you have not been able to find in Makrigialos. The name Makry Gialos (which means Long Shore in greek), comes from the very long and beautiful beach of the area, one of the greatest in Crete.
The region of Makry Gialos is consisted of the following communities: Agios Stefanos, Pefki, Orino, Perivolakia, Chrissopigi, Shinokapsala, Lithines and Stavrohori (country seat).
Koutsouras is a new coastal settlement founded by the residents of Stavrohori during the past few years, when the massive tourist development plans started. The route to Stavrohori is very interesting, as it crosses a small valley called "The path of the Pirates". At the valley, you will encounter the deserted village Tsikalaria and a complex of watermills.
On a hill over the village, there are the ruins of the Venetian fortress (Kastella or Fortezza) that was probably built over the ruins of a geometric acropolis. In Aghios Stefanos the popular tourist destination of "Makry Gialos" is located.
Analipsi -Makry Gialos
A modern coastal settlement and a popular tourist destination. There are Minoan and Roman antiquities in the region. North from the settlement, at the small valley with the olive groves, there is the small renovated settlement of Aspros Potamos.
East from Makry Gialos an asphalt road parallel to the coastline crosses the small settlement of Goudouras with its sandy beach. During the summer season, a small boat organizes excursions to the small picturesque island of Koufonisi.
A settlement in the east side of the valley of the mount Thriptis, north from the top Afentis Stavromenos. The settlement is used seasonally by the residents of nearby villages for agricultural activities, mainly at the vineyards. The region is known for its wild beauty and the west view of the mount Dikti.
It is located south from the village Roukaka. The settlement is first recorded in a 1368 document of the Duke archive of Handakas (Heraklion). Its name is pre- Hellenic and refers to the battle between the Lapithes and the centaurs that resulted in a peaceful resolution (Odyssey o 295). According to mythology, Lapithes was a tribe of the same origin as the centaurs that were described by ancient Greek poets as great and brave warriors and were distinguished from the centaurs as they had a human form.
The settlement was founded during the 2nd Byzantine period by the the family of Litinon. The tower was constructed during the Venetian period and was later destroyed during the 1897 revolution. In the important 15th century churches of Aghios Athanasios and Panagia there are marvelous icons and "tamata" (oblations).
A tourist area with beautiful beaches and crystal clear sea. The exit of the gorge Orinos is also located in the region. Over the coastal-tourist zone, in a distance of 5-6 km, the old traditional villages of Sitia are located, with a beautiful view of the Libyan sea.
The Kapsa Monastery
The Kapsa monastery, dedicated to Aghios Ioannis Prodromos, is located at the east exit of the gorge Perivolakia and is built on a steep rocky hill. It was probably founded in the 15th century, it was later destroyed during the Turkish occupation and was renovated in 1861. The view of the Libyan sea from the monastery is amazing.
A beautiful mountainous village in a landscape with pine trees, rocks, and a wonderful gorge. There is a mountain shelter for hikers and nature-lovers. There are also old churches in the area, including the church of Aghios Dimitrios with beautiful frescoes.
Set high above the Libyan Sea this small, beautiful, traditional village has much to offer. The village school is preserved exactly as it used to be while nearby is a wonderful exhibition of many aspects and crafts of village life stretching way back in time. The tiny church of Stavromenos that looks down on Pefki as though from Heaven is surprisingly easily reached as are two extraordinary Neolithic caves.
Under the shade of The Pepper Tree - brought as seed from Alexandria one hundred years ago - is the kafenion/taverna at the heart of village life. From there the walk down the Pefki Gorge is well signed and takes you past the village spring, where the ancient laundry troughs are still intact, and, almost to the sea, the tiny restored hamlet of Aspro Potamos.
A settlement with a beautiful view of the Libyan sea, where the coastal area of Achlia is also located.
It is located over the tourist settlement of Koutsouras. There are old watermills and spring waters in the area. The "path of the pirates" crosses the deserted settlement of Tsikalaria and it is a beautiful route for walking. There is also an old interesting church of Panagia in the site of "Lughia". The old settlement of Lapithos is also located in the area, with a beautiful traditional fountain.